I have chosen to pursue the rover idea. This is due to the following criteria:
- Highly interactive
- Interesting combination of physical and virtual interaction
- Room to be creative
- Different solutions
- Can deliver information and be entertaining.
Here are some possibilities that I would like to explore moving forward from the initial idea.
- Setting the rover in a simulated landscape such as the Moon or Mars.
- Delivering information or narrative to the user, for example using pre-recorded videos that play at various points.
- Making the user feel as though they are controlling a rover on another planet.
The rover could be placed on a simulated planet’s surface inside of a sandbox type construction, with the sides resembling the view from the planet.
The user could use a joystick, a touch-screen or a computer to control the rover.
The camera could move and be controlled separately.